Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Homemade Ice Cream!

I apologize for not posting this week. I had to go to Arizona for work and couldn't do anything crafty. Its SO good to be home!

We got an ice cream maker attachment to go with our Kitchanaid mixer and had yet to use it. My best friend and her husband were coming over for dinner and a game night, so I decided that this would be the best time to whip it out and make something delicious.

We love coconut and we knew our guests love coconut, so I scoured the web for an easy recipe to try out and found this one on allrecipes.com, which made about a quart of ice cream.

Ingredients

  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 (14 ounce) can cream of coconut
  • 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
  • 1 1/2 cups sweetened flaked coconut (optional)

Directions

  1. Combine the milk and cream of coconut in the container of a food processor or blender, and mix thoroughly. Stir in cream and flaked coconut.
  2. Pour into the container of an ice cream maker, and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions

With this recipe it is super important to use cream of coconut, not coconut milk. Cream of coconut is similar to sweetened condensed milk, where coconul milk is similar to evaporated milk. You really need the sweetness from the cream of coconut to have a delicious, sweet ice cream.

I also added a bar of dark chocolate, which I chopped up and added to the ice cream about 15 minutes into the churning process. I made this the night before so that it would have time to set-up, but it was still a little on the soupy side toward the bottom of the container, but I realized our freezer wasn't turned down very much. Hopefully I'll have better luck the next time around, but it was still very yummy.



 

1 comment:

  1. ah that looks yummy! i've been looking for a good easy recipe for homemade ice cream!
    fun blog!
    kaithuber.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete