Friday, August 26, 2011

Look What I Made!

Okay, so I decided to take the plunge and break out the sewing machine, knowing that there was a very good chance that I would get frustrated and walk away from it again. And yes, I did let my frustration get the best of me for a few minutes here and there, but I powered through. I did have one incident when my automatic threaded seemed to be broken, and I whined to my husband until he came to my rescue and showed me that my needle wasn't lowered enough for this feature to work. Yay for super hero husbands!

I bought the Butterick See & Sew apron pattern from Hobby Lobby when they were on sale for $1 months ago, and my mother-in-law showed me how to cut out my fabric (calico cotton, also from Hobby Lobby) and the poor things have been sitting, getting permanent fold lines embedded in them for months. I took out my trusty iron nd got to work getting te fabric back into some working order.



There were only 5 seperate pieces that needed to be sewn together, but both the top and bottom parts of the apron called for pleats, and since I'm clueless, I relied on YouTube to show me how to pin them before sewing.

I then pinned for my hem, and I'm probably not even using the hem tool correctly (what is that even called??), but it works for me.


Then I pieced everything together. I used red thread, because I liked the pop of color against the purple fabric.

And voila! We have one finished apron!


It is far from perfect, but I know that with more practice I'll be able to create better projects in time. I still plan on taking the sewing class, which will be taking place in a few weeks, and in the meantime, I'll be checking out tutorials via YouTube, which was definitely a life saver for this project.

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment